Article Date: 01/10/11
Home Adaptation Grants For Disabled People
A home adaptation grant is available from the federal government to help disabled people to
||Small Business Grants
make necessary modifications to their house to suit their condition. This home grant is available for people with physical, sensory, intellectual or mental health problems. If the scale of works needed is small then you can apply for Mobility Aids Grant Scheme and for bigger works you will have to apply for the Housing Adaptation for People with Disability which replaced the Disabled persons Grant in 2007.
Who is Eligible for these Grants?
• The owner of that house which he is occupying
• Houses that are being bought from the local housing authority under the tenant purchase scheme.
• Rented accommodation from private parties during the period of occupancy.
• Accommodation that is given by the voluntary housing capital assistance or rental subsidy schemes.
• Accommodation in the communal residences that are occupied by the disabled person.
While making the grant for money to readapt your home the following prioritizations are made:
• 1st Priority: Persons who are terminally ill or critically disable needing complete help from others where the asked for modifications can help in shifting out of the hospital to home without requiring future hospitalization.
• 2nd Priority: Persons who are mobile but need help in basic daily functions wherein the modifications will help them to operate independently.
• 3rd Priority: Persons who are more or less independent but the modifications will help in improving the comfort level and quality of life.
The grant agency will require you to pass the means test before giving the grant. This implies that the total household income of your family will be considered while assessing the need for government grant asked by you. For grants more than a certain amount you have to deposit valid tax clearance certificate. The rates and amount of grant are also dependant o the medical grounds on which the grant is being asked for. Veterans who have been disabled during active service will be given preference in the grant of home adaptation money. The works should not commence before the approval of the grant and once approved must start within 6 months of receiving the money.
In order to apply you can either go through the Department of Housing and Urban Development or approach the Department of Human Services and Rehabilitation. Both the agencies will provide the information that is required to fill up the application form for a home grant to modify the structure for adapting to the special needs of the disabled people. In case you do not get the grant for adaptation there are many other grants schemes for the disabled which you can try and avail for yourself.
Anyone with a disability that necessitates modifications for adaptation must utilize this scheme for betterment of life style. The money given by the government is what it has collected from the citizens as tax. This money is now given back to needy people as part of the government’s social responsibility. Therefore people with disability who require help must apply and take benefit of the aids being provided by the government.
For more articles please visit our Government Grants Articles section.
© Copyrights 2010 GovernmentGrantsPro.com
Small Business Grants
Grants For Women
Grants For Teachers
Single Mother Grants
Applicant User Guide
Organization Registration User Guide
Individual Registration User Guide
Find and Apply for Grant Opportunities
Track Your Application Package
Life of Grants Application Package
Government Grants Customer Service Process
Government Grants Overview Presentation
Foreign Registrant Guide
Organization Registration Checklist
E-Biz POC Registration Checklist
Grants Overview Brochure
Grants Brochure Request Form
Grants Presentation Request Form
Find and Apply Presentation Slides
2010-2011 FAFSA on the Web Worksheet (color) in PDF
Finding Grant Opportunities Tutorial
Organization Registration Overview
Individual Registration Overview
Completing an Application
Finding Out How Federal Grants Work
Finding Out Who May Qualify For Grants For School
Additional 260,000 Students Eligible for Pell Grants
view older posts >>
Register for Government Grants
Grants Policy Committee
Small Business Start-up Loans