Article Date: 01/10/11
How To Apply For A Pell Grant
The scheme of the Federal Pell grant is a need based financial assistance given low
||Small Business Grants
income students to follow college studies. For the financial year 2010-11 the Pell grant can amount up to $ 5550 per student annually which is a substantial amount in these trying economic times. Thus these free grants are a wonderful means of getting money to look after almost all needs during the college education.
Basic instructions for Applying:
• Check out your eligibility criteria and see if you will be considered. You must be above 23 years old and enrolled in an undergraduate program at a recognized institution or have been accepted for enrollment.
• Though the normal deadline of the Pell grants is in spring it is granted on a first come first serve basis so applying early helps.
• Keep the documents ready (Tax returns, W2, driver’s license, updated bank statements etc.
• Obtain a FAFSA form from the school financial aids officer fill it up correctly and submit it.
• Study the SAR (Student’s Aid Report) that you will get after applying for FAFSA. This will inform you whether you stand eligible for the Pell grants or not.
• Accurately follow guidelines that are given in the SAR to apply further for Pell Grants.
Some Practical Tips:
• For obtaining authentic information regarding the Pell Grants visit the official website rather than depending on hear say. Also seek guidance from the school counselor or the financial aids officer for clarifying doubts about the Pell Grants eligibility and application process. Take time in collecting the required documents ensuring that they are authentic and genuine. Fill up the forms carefully to avoid getting rejected for avoidable reasons. Remember the financial information in the FAFSA application is the basis of calculation of your financial standings and eligibility.
• Even if you are enrolled as a part time student or are attending on a less than part time basis you are still eligible for the Pell Grants and therefore make sure that you apply to get one for yourself.
• Before sending out the application form make photocopies of all documents for future reference. After applying make sure that you follow up the progress of the application.
• You can’t receive Pell Grants for more than one school at a time but you can always apply for other grants when in receipt of the Pell Grants.
• If after all you do not qualify for the Pell Grants remember that you still can be eligible for many other grants that are available and hence continue applying for them.
• Veterans are given preference in the grant of this scheme.
• You have to have social security number mandatorily for being granted the Pell Grants.
The Pell grants are meant for needy students who cannot afford college education on their own means. This is a part of the social responsibility schemes being undertaken by the government with an aim to encourage higher education among the low income sections of the society so that they become eligible for better jobs. This entire process will not only benefit the individual but will also have a far reaching consequence for the entire society and the nation.
For more articles please visit our Government Grants Articles section.
© Copyrights 2010 GovernmentGrantsPro.com
Small Business Grants
Grants For Women
Grants For Teachers
Single Mother Grants
Applicant User Guide
Organization Registration User Guide
Individual Registration User Guide
Find and Apply for Grant Opportunities
Track Your Application Package
Life of Grants Application Package
Government Grants Customer Service Process
Government Grants Overview Presentation
Foreign Registrant Guide
Organization Registration Checklist
E-Biz POC Registration Checklist
Grants Overview Brochure
Grants Brochure Request Form
Grants Presentation Request Form
Find and Apply Presentation Slides
2010-2011 FAFSA on the Web Worksheet (color) in PDF
Finding Grant Opportunities Tutorial
Organization Registration Overview
Individual Registration Overview
Completing an Application
Finding Out How Federal Grants Work
Finding Out Who May Qualify For Grants For School
Additional 260,000 Students Eligible for Pell Grants
view older posts >>
Register for Government Grants
Grants Policy Committee
Small Business Start-up Loans